Tuesday, November 03, 2015

New Beginnings

Hello!

I'm so glad to be sitting back here with all of you blogging again.  I missed it.  I need to write, journal, contain my thoughts and nobody wants to read all that on facebook (although I will link this here).

So, what's new with me, you ask?
We bought a new home.  A homestead to be exact.  Almost 5 acres and a home, garage and barn all set up for exactly what we want to do.  Not just do, BE.

I think it necessary to take a second and explain something.  You can live in the country, in a rural area, and not be a homestead.  A homestead is what you do with your little piece of heaven.  Do you just live there?  Then you live in a rural area (which is totally fine, but is basically living in a much larger than average subdivision).  We are using our property to feed our family, relaxing our dependency on corporation and over-regulated entities.  We are NOT completely independent.  We rely on help and knowledge from friends and neighbors and will continue to do so until we are gone.  We rely on the blessings of our Lord Jesus to enable us to get through every single day.  Humans have never been meant to be alone on this journey.

I see these memes on facebook of a muddy truck or 4-wheeler and people dancing around bonfires and there is always a caption along the lines of "real country" or whatever.  REAL country are the people feeding livestock and planting fields.  REAL country is working fence in 30 degree weather, alone, because your pigs keep getting out.  REAL country knows where their food comes from and how to acquire it, if they and their vehicle of choice is muddy, its for darn good reason and that reason didn't involve tearing up property that didn't belong to them.  REAL country hunts, but not just for the trophy (although who doesn't like a trophy buck?).  REAL country can wear dresses, even while working (because I take pride in how I look) and can dress up just as nice as everyone else.

Here's what country means to me:
growing food for my family in a garden
raising or bartering for meat and milk and their by-products
eating REAL food
doing the work that these things require
making things with your own hands
spending time with friends and family
slowing down the pace of life and enjoying the rhythms that come with the seasons
knowing how to improvise or do without in most situations
using the wild resources to benefit the family (hunting, fishing, gathering)
helping your neighbors and strangers with the blessings that God has given me
working together and having fun together as a family

Country isn't:
muddy vehicles for no apparent reason
always covered in camo (or NEVER in my case)
beer drinking 24-7 (unless you are an alcoholic and then I suggest you get help)

So, we have our own little homestead here.  We are raising chickens for eggs and meat and pig for our own use currently.  We will probably get another steer in the spring and I'm hoping to get a couple goats for milk and meat and a llama or 2 for fiber.

I had someone tell me just last week that they had no idea what I did all day, I must get terribly bored.  I didn't laugh hysterically but I wanted to (people perceive me laughing at their ignorance as rudeness so I must be careful).

This morning I woke up at 4:30 a.m. (the time change has got me messed up).  I woke Norman at 5 a.m. then read my devotional and scripture reading for the day (Wicked Women study, day 2, on YouVersion).  Norman left at 5:45 but forgot the medicine for our steer (who is still at our previous home) so I offered to feed and medicate. Started laundry then  I woke Greg up for school at 6 and then drove 5 miles to feed and care for the steers.  Back home, switched laundry, and had breakfast and coffee.  Made my bed, sorted dirty laundry, Greg left for school.  Lee came home from work (he works 3rd shift).  He went to bed and I went to the shower, finished folding laundry, and ordered propane.  I also balanced out the checkbook.  It is now 9 a.m. so we start school (Bear and Abby have been up, had breakfast and played a game of Monopoly Jr).

School will be its own post.  Maybe tomorrow.  We just started this year 3 weeks ago and it is going so well.  This will be my 13th year homeschooling. Bear is in 2nd grade, Abby in kindergarten.

We got done with everything around 11:00, except read aloud (right now about Columbus).  We had lunch and the kids are outside playing.

As soon as I hit publish on this I'm going to finish up my house chores.  Then we will finish up school and I will do something creative for a little bit before I do outside chores (chickens, pigs, dogs, cats) and then fix supper.  Norman and Greg should be home around 4 and Lee will get up around supper time.  Such is my day.  I hope that you will join me as I share the adventure on our new homestead.  I know that I can learn so much from you so feel free to comment!


1 comment:

Victoria Stankus said...

Congratulations on your new place. Would love to see some pictures as you are able.